5 Things To Know About This Year’s F1 Race In “The Magic City.”
On May 8th, Miami hosts its maiden Formula One championship. With car-obsessed Americans taking the stands, this is sure to be a once-in-a-lifetime racing extravaganza. Here are five things to know about this year’s race:
1. The 2022 Miami Grand Prix will be held at the newly constructed Miami International Autodrome. See racers whip past the Hard Rock Stadium on 3.362 miles of freshly laid track.
2. This race has been three years in the making. Due to COVID-induced construction delays, the race was moved from 2019 to 2021. Further complications saw Jeddah take Miami’s place on the circuit. Now, it’s finally Miami’s time to shine.
3. Mercedes is upping its engineering game. After several races with a “porpoising problem.” Mercedes is swapping out old parts with new counterparts! They hope this fix will put them back in range to win this year’s championship.
4. This is the first race with rumors regarding Lewis Hamilton’s retirement. Many commentators have wondered if Hamilton should have retired “last year” considering this season’s performance. The World Champion responded by saying he’ll decide when his “masterpiece is finished.”
5. Charles Leclerc is leading the way. Going into Sunday’s matchup, the Ferrari racer stands first on the leaderboard with 86 points, 27 ahead of Max Verstappen.